By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in warfare, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kin breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they could impression your personal pondering with no your knowing it. right here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books by means of its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince used to be the muse for an extended record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on approach "proved" God's lifestyles in basic terms via making Him a production of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the idea that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may perhaps win the award for the main malicious ebook ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past sturdy and Evil issued the decision for a global governed completely by means of the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf used to be one of those "spiritualized Darwinism" that debts for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a production of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, stunning, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area bargains a brief schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will keep away from them within the future.
Read or Download 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Best books & reading books
Reviews within the tradition and historical past of the publication are a burgeoning educational area of expertise. interesting, rigorous, and important, they're however rooted inside 3 significant educational disciplines - background, literary stories, and bibliography - that spotlight respectively upon the e-book as a cultural transaction, a literary textual content, and a cloth artefact.
From Literature to Biterature relies at the premise that during the foreseeable destiny desktops turns into in a position to developing works of literature. between hundreds and hundreds of different questions, it considers: less than which stipulations may machines develop into in a position to inventive writing? on condition that computing device evolution will exceed the velocity of traditional evolution a million-fold, what is going to any such situation entail when it comes to paintings, tradition, social existence, or even nonhuman rights?
A completely revised and up to date version of Thomas C. Foster's vintage guide—a energetic and unique advent to literature and literary fundamentals, together with symbols, issues, and contexts—that exhibits you the way to make your daily interpreting event extra profitable and stress-free. whereas many books could be loved for his or her uncomplicated tales, there are frequently deeper literary meanings interwoven in those texts.
The ultimate quantity of The L. M. Montgomery Reader, A Legacy in evaluate examines an extended neglected component to Montgomery’s severe reception: stories of her books. even though Montgomery downplayed the effect that stories had on her writing profession, claiming to be amused and tolerant of reviewers’ contradictory critiques approximately her paintings, she however cared sufficient to maintain a wide percent of them in scrapbooks as an archive of her profession.
- Beneath the American Renaissance: The Subversive Imagination in the Age of Emerson and Melville
- Deutsche Drucker und Buchhändler in London 1680-1811: Strukturen und Bedeutung des deutschen Anteils am englischen Buchhandel (Archiv für Geschichte des Buchwesens – Studien) (German Edition)
- Book of Books: The Continuously Updated Book Guide (Good Reads 1)
- L'auteur, l'autre. Proust et son double (Blanche) (French Edition)
- Buchwissenschaft als Medienwissenschaft – Die Inhaltsanalyse als mögliche Methode der Buchwissenschaft (German Edition)
- Words Unbound: Teaching Dante's Inferno in the High School Classroom
Additional info for 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help